Welcome Churches is a new charity which aims to equip the UK Church to be good news for refugees. We do this by inspiring, equipping and empowering local churches to welcome refugees and asylum seekers arriving in their local communities. We have a unique opportunity for a key individual to join our team in Derby as we begin this exciting journey! In 2018, we are expecting to provide a range of training opportunities to churches across the UK. We are looking for an intern to help resource these events, providing the administration and logistical oversight for the training. We aim to become a professional and respected organisation across the UK and anticipate this area of work to grow quickly.
To play a key role in planning and running Welcome Churches training events throughout the year. We aim to hold six training days in 2018, in different regions across the UK, engaging with 60 churches throughout the year.
The training and events intern will be directly accountable to the Operations Director through regular supervisions. This will ensure accountability in the role, and identify any training and support needs the intern may have.
This internship will be based in Derby for one year. It requires 37.5 hours/week ad will be paid at the National Living Wage of £8.45/hour.
Applicants are required to have an active Christian faith and be passionate about the UK Church being good news for refugees.
- Working with the Senior Management Team to help shape the content of the training days throughout the year
- Events planning and management: ensuring the smooth running of the logistics on every training day
- Conducting research into the current situation faced by refugees and asylum seekers across the UK
- Communicating with and registering churches to come to the training events
- Inputting into the planning of training day content alongside the rest of the Welcome Churches team and evaluating the success of each training day
- Representing Welcome Churches at exhibitions across the UK to help raise the profile of our work
- Being willing to pray with churches, supporters and the Welcome Churches team
All activities will have SMART goals in place, to ensure that success of Welcome Churches training and events can be measured.
Experience and skills required:
- Experience of planning events to a high standard
- Degree-level qualification
- Knowledge of the UK asylum system, and who is arriving in the UK as refugees and asylum seekers
- Understanding of how different churches operate and engage with their communities in the UK
- Strong organisational and logistical skills in order to manage each event well, staying calm under pressure and solving any problems that may occur
- Excellent time management and communication skills
- MS Office proficiency
- Budgeting skills to ensure each event stays within budget
How to apply:
This internship is subject to successful funding from a generous trust. The prospective candidate is required to be interviewed by both Welcome Churches, and the funders of the post within the next few weeks.
Interested candidates should email Emily Holden by 9am on Monday 27th November with their CV and contact details.